CityLogo-innovative city brand management
CityLogo-Innovative Place-Brand Management [Utrecht, Zaragoza, Coimbra, Warsaw, Oslo, Genoa, Vilnius, Aarhus, Dundee]. URBACT Programme. 2012-2015.
TASO was appointed by the city of Utrecht as lead expert for desinging and conducting a pioneering large-scale project on integrated city branding, which is now a landmark. CityLogo was conceived as a reaction to the most common gaps in city branding, since the practice is often under the major influence of a too conventional marketing approach.
The project worked at two levels: locally, drawing up specific action planning in each of the participating cities, including some country capitals like Oslo, Warsaw and Vilnius; at network level, a range of transnational activities were developed following a specific advanced learning itinrerary. Such an intensive “learning by interacting” was organized in four main themes: management and new organizational models in city branding; city narratives and politics of city representation; channels & communication tools, with a focus on the impact of the digital shift; and new segmentation strategies around visitors, businesses, talent and local population.
This working agenda was also joined by the Eurocities Working Group on City Attractiveness, including active participation of some group members like Rotterdam, Birmingham, Bologna, Barcelona, Stockholm, Amsterdam, Gothenburg and Ghent.
The role of TASO in this project included the following tasks:
- Provision of a comprehensive model for innovative city brand management.
- Study visits to all the partner cities and partner profiles on their state-of-play in city branding, as part of a baseline report.
- Advising partners in the production of local action plans basically aimed at promoting or strengthening a strategy on integrated city branding
- Scientific organization and live facilitation of a series of four international thematic workshops within the field of integrated city branding, including ad-hoc thematic papers.
- Organization of two key study visits to Barcelona and Zurich.
- Organization of a peer-review exercise.
- Elaboration of a case study on innovative city branding.
- Final report.
- Co-organization and facilitation of the project final conference.